Resurrecting extinct animals for 5th Edition
Learn about and play alongside lost animals like the dodo, saber-toothed tiger, and great auk in D&D 5th Edition.
The stories in this book are real. The Book of Extinction is perhaps the only D&D book in history to be carefully fact-checked by a science consultant (generously provided by the Center for Biological Diversity), to feature insight from dozens of interviews with experts, and to include hundreds of factual citations from primary sources.
Listen to the companion podcast Making a Monster: Extinction
Learn more about history, game design, and conservation as we make fantasy lore out of real-life stories: fossilized cyclops remains, the natural history of the griffin, and the housecat who killed an entire species, just for a start!
Praise for The Book of Extinction
The ghost tiger hits all the right notes of this slightly ghostly, slightly hidden creature that does supposedly still exist in some areas of Tasmania. I think that’s really good, honestly. – Jeremy Vine, Professional DM in Melbourne, Australia
You really don’t know how excited I am about it, because it’s a passionate and driven and resourceful community. I can just see this community running with this, that could be the tipping point – extinction ends here! – Tierra Curry, Senior Scientist at The Center for Biological Diversity
NPR: Can Dungeons & Dragons Help Save Endangered Species?
Nerdist: EXTINCT ANIMALS COME BACK TO LIFE IN DUNGEONS & DRAGONS
All Press Coverage
- Geek’s Cant podcast: Interviews & Black Flag
- Dicegeeks Tabletop RPG Show: Monster Manual of Extinct Animals with Lucas Zellers
- Dragon Talk, Dragon Talk: #384 – Lucas Zellers, How To DM with New Friends | Dungeons & Dragons
- World at Large, Can Dungeons & Dragons Help Save Biodiversity Through Storytelling/Gaming?
- GDEX, Making Monsters that Matter
- Nerdist, Extinct Animals Come Back to Life in DUNGEONS & DRAGONS
- Dicebreaker, Dungeons & Dragons and dodos come together to raise awareness for endangered animals
- Press Release: New Dungeons & Dragons Book to Support Endangered Species Protection – Center for Biological Diversity
- Press Release: “Extinct animals returning to life through Dungeons & Dragons“
- NPR, Can Dungeons & Dragons Save Endangered Species?